America

 1972. I first heard America in the student's lounge at Osmania University College of Engineering. I was amazed that colleges had these spaces like a student's lounge which I found very eclectic. It was a dungeon kind of a place near the quadrangle which housed some indoor games but was most popular for our musical nights where orchestras and groups would be invited. The interior of the lounge was filled with cane chairs, a music player at the window and several records that reflected fine taste in western music. The tables had magazines and though smoking etc was not allowed, it was a brilliant place to catch up and chat and unwind. I am forever amazed at the students who made that lounge happen and who bought that music. 

I would be fascinated to see senior boys and girls sitting there and chatting while listening to music. We had to ask a guy from the college who was posted there to play the songs we wanted and he would do it in the order of requests. I don't know if I ever requested any but I do remember listening to America's all time great 'Magic' there and falling in love with it. I do remember Vijay, who was probably our cultural secretary then, a bearded chap, who was probably instrumental in getting those records.

Inspired by that introduction, I bought a tape of America's greatest hits which had Magic and followed it up with this tape which had no title - just America. It had 'The Horse with No Name' though, along with some other vague numbers.


     A Horse with no name

Sandman

Dedicated to Vijay, Raza and all those stalwarts who made that student lounge come true and alive and introduced me to ideas and to America. Lovely! 

Comments

Popular Posts